- Do something creative and unrelated to work every day, even if for only 10 minutes.
- Imagine yourself at 80, and then ask yourself if your current situation will really impact where you’ll be in life at that age.
- Don’t abandon your hobbies; residency is not a jail sentence.
- Spend some time with family and old friends.
- Realize you don’t have to please everyone.
- The holy trinity of resident daily wellness: sleep some, exercise some, and eat some fruit and vegetables every day.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help, and don’t wait too long to get it.
- Try to be thankful at least once a day.
- Talk to yourself as you would talk to your friends; don’t be too harsh on yourself!
- Put limits on work.
From the FMRQ: Medical residents have access to different resources that can assist them in a situation of intimidation or harassment from which they have difficulty removing themselves, as in when the harasser is in a position of authority and is responsible for evaluating the resident in question.
To help victims of harassment and intimidation initiate steps to help them get out of these situations, the FMRQ has compiled resources available in each medical faculty, and outside the training sites, in particular at the Quebec Physicians’ Health Program (QPHP) and the Fédération des médecins résidents du Québec (FMRQ). You can also get in contact with our vice-president for wellness or delegate colleagues, as necessary.
FÉDÉRATION DES MÉDECINS RÉSIDENTS DU QUÉBEC
Tel.: 514-282-0256 / 1-800-465-0215
Stéphanie Chevance, Co-ordinator, Assistance, University Affairs
Tel.: 514-397-0888 / 1-800-387-4166 | Fax: 514-397-0654
SUICIDE PREVENTION CENTRES
1-866-277-3553 Service available 24/7 | Suicide Action Montreal: 514-723-4000
- Tel.: 514 398-3518
(2) POSTDOCTORAL MEDICAL STUDIES SECTOR
- Dr Armand Aalamian | Dean, Postgraduate Medical Education & Professional Affairs | 514 398-1458
- A prior appointment with the Program Director is suggested
(3) FACULTY OF MEDICINE RESIDENT AFFAIRS
- Dr Richard Montoro | Assistant Dean, Resident Professional Affairs
- Tel.: 514 398-1781 or 514 398-5836
- residentaffairs.med [at] mcgill.ca
- Tel.: 514 398-3601
(1) PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSISTANCE
- McGill Mental Health Services | Suite 5500, Brown Student Services Building | 514 398-6019
- McGill Counseling Services | 514 398-3601
(2) SEXUAL HARASSMENT
- Response center can be reached at: 514 398-4911
- Dre Linda Starkey | 514 398-7059
(4) HEALTH SERVICES
- McGill Health Services | McGill Campus | 514 398-6017
PSYCHOLOGISTS OUTSIDE UNIVERSITY SETTINGS
- Dre Élaine Bélanger
- For referrals and resources | 514 340-8253 local 4875
- Refer to the QPHP for access to psychologists in the various regions of Quebec.
* This information has been abbreviated from the FMRQ website. If you would like further information please click here.